What kind of game is this?
Starcom:Nexus is a top-down open-world action RPG set in space. In it, you control a starship exploring an unknown and dangerous region of space. The major gameplay components are:
- Exploring star systems and planets
- Battling hostile enemies in fast-paced real time combat
- Expanding your ship through a modular design system
- Improving your capabilities via a large research tree
- Discovering the game’s story
When will the game be available?
The game is now in Early Access on Steam:
What’s the current state of the game?
The game is fully playable with content being added regularly. As of the time of writing this update (12/14/18) the game’s features were:
- Ship building
- 100+ research technologies
- 40+ star systems
- 6 alien races with different dispositions and abilities
- Lots of secrets, easter eggs and side quests
What platforms will it be available on?
Initially as a desktop game for Windows, then hopefully Mac and Linux soon after.
Will it be playable with controllers?
Yes, although full controller support may not be available at release.
I remember having fun playing the Flash game Starcom. What’s the connection?
Starcom (the Flash game) was one of the first games I made. While short, it turned out to be quite popular, with over 2 million plays worldwide. Starcom: Nexus is not exactly a sequel, but will feature some of the same elements and have familiar combat mechanics. It will also be a much deeper game with more RPG elements, exploration and story.